Apple Cider Vinegar a Fermented Food with so many uses
Apple Cider Vinegar otherwise known as ACV is an excellent food used in a variety of ways that can aid in your health, your daily nutrition, along with cleansing your environment.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar? It is a fermented food. It obviously begins as a fruit, and as it is processed, the sugars in the food are broken down by bacteria and yeast. In this first stage of processing the sugars are turned into alcohol As the process continues the alcohol then becomes vinegar. Your best source of Apple Cider Vinegar for ingestion, and use on your body is the unpasteurized version, sometimes known as the “Mother”. When Apple Cider Vinegar is pasteurized, it breaks down many of the healthy components, and destroys them with heat. So whenever possible, look for the “Mother”.
There are literally 100s of ways in which to use Apple Cider Vinegar. Here I’m going to share just a few of my favorite uses for your body.
1) Take a shot every morning to help alkalize your body, stabilizing the pH. When your body is in a more alkaline state, it is easier to stave off disease. Begin each morning with 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with 4 oz. of water.
2) Use ACV as a hair rinse. Find an old shampoo bottle and fill 1/2 of the bottle with water and the other 1/2 with ACV. Rinse your hair several times a week, and you will find your hair shinning and adding body like never before.
3) Use ACV as a skin toner. Men use it as an aftershave. In both cases it once again helps to balance the pH of your skin. Just like balancing your pH internally to stave off disease, balancing the pH of your skin is important to help you eliminate or at the very least minimize skin issues as well.
4) Data shows that ACV may also aid in weight loss. Just add 2 teaspoons of ACV to 16 oz of water and sip throughout the day. Weight loss may be limited, yet it can also be significant.
5) Apple Cider Vinegar is excellent for detoxifying the entire body. Research shows that it can help stimulate cardiovascular circulation and helps to detoxify the liver.
6) The next time you suffer from heart burn, take a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar. Within 20 minutes your heart burn should subside. ACV metabolizes in an alkaline state, so it counters the acidity experienced from heart burn. ACV will not aid in treating ulcers.
7) Eliminate warts and cold sores. If you have a wart, soak a cotton ball in Apple Cider Vinegar and attach it to the wart with a band-aid overnight. You may need to do this several nights in a row before the wart will fall off. Continue to treat the area for a few days after the wart has fallen off to insure you kill all the bacteria underneath. For a cold sore, dab it 3 times a day with Apple Cider Vinegar and it will disappear quickly.
8) Use it as a deodorant. Yes, you may smell like a salad for a few minutes, but it is one of the best and least expensive ways to eliminate the bacteria under the arm that causes odor. It is all natural and therefore there are no ill effects received from this treatment, unlike using commercial deodorants or anti-antiperspirants.
9) Do you suffer from spider veins or varicose veins? Simply take a cotton ball soaked in Apple Cider Vinegar and place it on the veins for 30 – 60 seconds. It will minimize the appearance of the veins.
10) For those of you that have overdone it in the sun, or suffer from arthritis, find yourself a tub. Fill the tub with water and pour 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar in and soak for 30 minutes. It not only reduces pain from arthritis, but soothes the skin from sun burn as well.
Now for Household Uses – We could go on and on, but I’m only going to share a handful of really nifty uses here.
1) For those of you that live in the cold country, fill a pail of water with 1 part water and 3 parts vinegar. Spray on your car windows, or simply smear on the windows with a rag. This will eliminate frost forming on those windows. Now I’ve never tried this myself, but I’ve read this can last a few weeks. If not, simply reapply and stop from having to scrap those windshields every morning.
2) Remove mildew from clothes by washing them in 1/2 cup of laundry detergent, and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Then during the rinse cycle add 1 cup of vinegar. It will make your clothes smell and feel wonderful in addition to eliminating the mildew.
3) To brighten those whites, like dingy socks, or worn out white linens, soak them overnight in 12 parts of warm water to 1 part vinegar. In the morning you will be amazed how bright your clothes have become.
4) Remove smells from your car simply by placing a bowl of Apple Cider Vinegar in the car overnight.
5) With the advent of Spring on its way, soon you will be showered with those pesky flying bugs, gnats, mosquitoes, and for those of us here on the island, sand flies. Take a bowl filled with Apple Cider Vinegar and place it near some food outdoors near your patio, but away from people. These flying insects will be attracted to this bowl and leave you and your guests at peace.
NOTE: Long-term use of Apple Cider Vinegar may cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. Talk to your health care provider when adding this to your daily regimen.